The Khalidi Library in Jerusalem, 1720-2001

Abstract: 

Located on Bab al-Silsilah Road near al-Haram al-Sharif, the Khalidi Library is housed in one of the oldest Mameluke structures in the Old City. The Khalidi Library is the largest and one of the most important private Islamic manuscript libraries in the world today. This study by Professor Walid Khalidi, first published in 2000, traces the history of the Library from the first endowed collection in 1720, to its establishment in 1900, and its survival and renewal through 1948 and after Israeli occupation until 2000.

The publication of the book was made possible thanks to a grant by the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development managed by Welfare Association - Taawon.

E edition: 
Second (First 2002)
Consolidated Author: 

About the Author(s)

Walid Khalidi  was born in Jerusalem, he was educated at the University of London and Oxford University.  He taught at Oxford, the American University of Beirut, and Harvard.  Khalidi is a cofounder of the Institute for Palestine Studies (IPS, Beirut), of which he was general secretary until recently.  He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a cofounder of the Royal Scientific Society, Amman.  He currently serves as President of the Institute for Palestine Studies (IPSUS, Washington, DC).

PRODUCT DETAILS

Publisher(s):
Institute for Palestine Studies and Khalidi Library
ISBN:
978-614-448-081-6
Edition:
Second (First 2002)
Publication Date:
2021
Language: Arabic
(Translated into English)
Number of Pages:
87
Table of content:
Original Price:
$4.00